SUGGESTED LESSON PLANS
THE IMAGE OF THE GAY JOURNALIST
MOVIES AND TELEVISION
40:42:23 - 123 clips
NOTE: There is profanity, nudity and sexual innuendo in this video. Please screen privately before showing it to your class.
Here are some suggested lesson plans using this video or supplementing it by showing the complete films excerpted on the video:
- Compare and contrast the image of the gay journalist with the image of the journalist in popular culture. Similarities, differences.
- Discuss why so many gay journalists in 20th century films are either columnists or critics, offering specific examples and stereotypes.
- Review films made outside the United States and compare and contrast those films featuring gay journalists with American films featuring gay journalists. How are the portrayals different, the same?
- Describe the gay stereotypes prevalent in films featuring gay journalists.
- Why are lesbians generally treated more favorably in films and TV than gay men?
- Discuss the effect of AIDS on gay journalists portrayed in the movies and on TV.
- Discuss why so many gay journalists are the objects of ridicule and humor in films dating back to 1929. Describe the effect you think this has on the American viewing public and its opinions about gay journalists.